Since June 21st, 2012, the title of psychotherapist and the practice of psychotherapy are now reserved in Quebec. This means that any person who wants to practice psychotherapy and use the title of psychotherapist and who is neither a doctor nor a psychologist must hold a permit of psychotherapist issued by the Ordre des psychologues du Quebec. To obtain this permit, one must meet certain requirements in terms of training and skills specified by regulation from the Office des professions that was published in the Gazette officielle du Québec.
Members of the following professional orders can request a psychotherapist's permit by either the regular path :
- Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation du Québec
- Ordre des ergothérapeutes du Québec
- Ordre des infirmières et des infirmiers du Québec
- Ordre des psychoéducateurs et des psychoéducatrices du Québec
- Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
- Ordre professionnel des sexologues du Québec
Those who are eligible but not a member of neither of the above professional orders must first integrate their professional order before applying for a psychotherapist's permit.
1) See either the Requirements page.
2) Carefully read the requirements; you will be able to know which of the two applies to your situation and avoid many questions while completing the form.
3) Follow the steps prescribed in the Permit Deliverance Form.
If you have any questions related to the psychotherapist's permit, please contact us:
514-738-1881 or toll free 1-800-363-2644, ext. 252