Since June 21st, 2012, the title of psychotherapist and the practice of psychotherapy are now reserved in Quebec. This means that any person who wants to practice psychotherapy and use the title of psychotherapist and who is neither a doctor nor a psychologist must hold a permit of psychotherapist issued by the Ordre des psychologues du Quebec. To obtain this permit, one must meet certain requirements in terms of training and skills specified by regulation from the Office des professions that was published in the Gazette officielle du Québec.
There are two ways to obtain the permit of psychotherapist: the regular path and the recognition of acquired rights path (grand-father clause). This clause, which can be requested until June 21, 2014, recognizes the expertise and training of people who were practicing psychotherapy in a competent way before June 21st, 2012.
Members of the following professional orders can request a psychotherapist's permit by either the regular path or the recognition of acquired rights path:
- Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation du Québec
- Ordre des ergothérapeutes du Québec
- Ordre des infirmières et des infirmiers du Québec
- Ordre des psychoéducateurs et des psychoéducatrices du Québec
- Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
Those who are eligible but not a member of neither of the above professional orders must first integrate their professional order before applying for a psychotherapist's permit.
Those who are not a member of either one of the professional orders above and who are not eligible can apply for a permit of psychotherapist through the recognition of their acquired rights if they meet all of the requirements.
1) See either the Requirements - Members of professional order page or the Requirements – Non-members of the professional order page for conditions for the deliverance of a permit .
2) Carefully read the requirements; you will be able to know which of the two applies to your situation and avoid many questions while completing the form.
3) Follow the steps prescribed in the Permit Deliverance Form - Members of Professional Orders page or the Permit Deliverance Form – Non-members of Professional Orders page. You can find the appropriate application form in these pages.
If you have any questions related to Bill 21 or the psychotherapist's permit, please contact us:
514-738-1881 or toll free 1-800-363-2644, ext. 255