For members of the following professional orders, there are two paths to have access to a psychotherapist's permit : the regular path or the recognition of acquired rights' path:
- Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation du Québec
- Ordre des ergothérapeutes du Québec
- Ordre des infirmières et des infirmiers du Québec
- Ordre des psychoéducateurs et des psychoéducatrices du Québec
- Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
The requirements for the deliverance of a psychotherapist's permit are the following:
1. Current member of a professional order under Quebec's professional code
2. Hold a university master's degree in the field of mental health and human relations
3. Having been trained at a university level for a minimum of 765 hours in psychotherapy and having completed sucessfully a supervised internship of at least 600 hours.
The deadline to request a permit through the recognition of acquired rights is June 21, 2014. To request the deliverance of a psychotherapist's permit through the recognition of acquired rights, candidates must meet the following requirements by June 21, 2012:
1. Hold at least a bachelor's degree in the field of mental health and human relations
2. Having practiced, in the 3 years preceeding June 21, 2012, at least 600 hours or psychotherapy guided by one of the four recognized theorical intervention models.
3. Having completed, in the 5 years preceeding June 21, 2012 or in the following year, at least 90 hours of continuous education activities related to one of the four recognized theorical intervention models.
4. Having completed, before June 21, 2012, at least 50 hours of individual supervision regarding at least 200 hours of practicing psychotherapy under one of the four recognized theorical intervention models.
A person who is admissible to one of the above professional order and who is not must become a member of his or her professional order to request a psychotherapist's permit trhough the recognition of acquired rights.
Finally, members of professional order, such as the Ordre professionnel des conseillers et conseilleres d’orientation du Quebec or of the Ordre professionnel des psychoeducateurs et psychoeducatrices du Quebec, who hold a accreditation of psychotherapist delivered by their professional order, or who are also members of the Société canadienne de psychanalyse, of the Association des psychothérapeutes psychanalytiques du Québec or of the Société québécoise des psychothérapeutes professionnels, will automatically receive a psychotherapist's permit if they request it.